From:
"Anthony S. Wall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:56:02 -0400
Hello Everyone, I'll add my two cents worth to the previous comments
about the COA convention in Louisville. I had a great time and I think
it was a great convention. The convention committee and all their extra
helpers worked very hard behind the scenes to make the week fun for
everyone. There were 7 silent auctions with some really nice shells and
the regular bid auction (64+lots) had a couple of shells (cowries I
think) going for $600 and $1000.  The programs were very good overall
with many different topics ranging from freshwater mussels, collecting
in the Caribbean, collecting in Belize, taxonomy, to shell book
information. The freshwater mollusk collecting trip had to be cancelled
due to high water, but the other field trips were very popular
(Churchill Downs, Historic Bardstown, Falls of the Ohio fossil coral
reef and museum, and various informal antiquing trips).  This was my
third convention and it was nice to see old friends again. I almost
forgot to mention the Shell Derby shell show. I think there were about
30 exhibits in 7 categories and the winners in each category received a
beautiful blue ribbon and attractive plaque. Next year's convention will
be in Houston, Texas and the 2001 convention will be in Melbourne.
Vicky Wall