From:
Melissa Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 20:57:05 -0400
Former listserv member, Phil Poland of Clearwater, has done extensive
studies on the so-called Melongena corona subspecies/forms. His
conclusion was - there is but one species - it is Melongena corona.
The various forms, subspecies, sizes, colors, adnauseam,  are due to
enviromental factors and diet.  A summary of his work can be
found on the Jacksonville Shell Club (JSC) Web Pages in the "Past
Articles" section.

PS:  Don't forget Melongena corona sprucecreekensis Tucker, 1994.
If you collect in the type locality (Spruce Creek), you too will be
convinced
that this subspecies/form is but nonsense.  An article on a JSC expedition
to Spruce Creek/Rose Bay/Halifax River too can be found in the
JSC past articles section.  Some recent articles (Daytona Beach News
Journal for one) claim that this is a unique species, and since it is
only found in Spruce Creek (which is not true), it should be "listed as
an endangered species." Oh well!

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, Florida 32246
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm