From:
"Jose H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:14:55 -0400
Dear Paul, James, et al.,

Ed Petuch originally (9179) assigned "Oliva" zelindae to its own subgenus
Plicoliva. Philippe Bouchet of the Paris Museum later received
similar-looking animals from Takoradi, Ghana (West Africa). In a paper
published in 1989 (or was it 1988, I am away from my office), he named new
species Plicoliva ryalli, moved provisionally (based on radulae) P.
zelindae and P. ryalli to the family Volutidae, under the then new
subfamily Plicolivinae. In 1995, yours truly and Jerry Harawsewych
published a little paper in the Bulletin of Marine Science describing the
general morphology of the soft parts of P. zelindae from a specimen kindly
sent from Brazil by the Coltro brothers, and confirming inclusion of this
species in the Volutidae. Therefore, the volutid genus Plicoliva is
currently known to include only two shallow-water species, one from eastern
Brazil, another from Ghana. It is absent from the South and Middle Atlantic
oceanic islands (those sitauted between Brazil and Africa).

Happy shelling,

Jose

At 05:45 PM 8/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
>James:
>
>Petuch originally described Oliva zelindae as an Olive and latter changed
>the genus to Conus (it is a weird look shell).  I thought I same somewhere
>recently that it is now classified in the Volutidae.  Maybe someone else is
>more update.
>
>Paul
>

>At 04:58 PM 8/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>Dear Helmut, These are the species I suggest:
>>
>>Oliva baileyi Petuch, 1979 - Solomon Is.
>>Oliva julieta Duclos, 1835 - W. Central America
>>Oliva kaleontina Duclos, 1835 - W. Central America
>>Oliva rubrolabiata H. Fischer, 1902 - New Hebrides (This species is
>>getting rarer as I write).
>>Oliva rufofulgurata Schepman, 1911 - Phillipines
>>Oliva sayana citrina Johnson, 1911 - Florida
>>Oliva zelindae Petuch, 1979 - Brasil
>>
>>That is the best I can do.
>>
>>- James

Jose H. Leal, PhD
Director - The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor-in-Chief - THE NAUTILUS
http://www.uwp.edu/academic/biology/bmsm/bm_shell.htm
3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
P.O. Box 1580