From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:18:34 PDT
Dear Charles,

could it be also Otala lactea or  (Eobania vermiculata). They are
not always seperable on the first view.
with best shelling greetings
Helmut

Helmut Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
url: www.netwing.at/nisters/

or

Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
malacological collection
Feldstr. 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86-37

----------
Can anyone on the list, especially those on you in California tell me if
Otala punctata (Muller, 1774) is currently found as an introduced species
in the Los Angeles region.  I picked up a worn specimen when I was walking
around on vacation there and for all the world the specimen I have seems
close to this terrestrial taxon.  Don't have a scanned image of it and not
sure how useful it would be considering how worn it is.  Thanks for any
information provided.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine