From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 05:49:11 -0000
Ok Terry , your right but let me add a few possibly humorous thoughts.

You wrote, " . If you dive in the western Pacific or Polynesia it is worth
getting Dick Johnson's book
The Sharks of Tahiti"

I can just see it now, you're cruising along minding your own business
amongst the giant clams and the obese volutes when out of the clear blue
water a shark appears , you quickly pull your book "The Sharks of Tahiti"
from your dive belt and thumb through , Aaah , It's only a mako shark, your
safe , seconds later you hear this funny crunching sound and realize it's
your leg .......

What you say about sharks is very true but nature is funny , it rarely
follows the guidelines of books.
Ask anyone here on the list if they have ever found a living mollusk out of
it's habitat.
We (the GMSC Board) were in chest deep water just off the back of our
building in clear sand some 100 yards from a stone reef , As we discussed
numerous "important" topics I found myself kicking around a rock with my
foot . I wasn't until my toe found a slick area on the rock did I examine
it. a vasum muriculatum ALIVE!!! now what was this living vcase doing so far
from it's habitat? There was no food to be found , just clear , trackless
sand. So what's my point , besides the problem of illiteracy in mollusk
(well they don't read too well ) , the point is this , when in a habitat we
are now the top of the food chain , we should expect the unexpected.
Thank you  for letting me make my point,
 ferreter
PS, Tom found a new warning to laugh at ... Look on the back of your CREST
toothpaste tube "WARNING : KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN UNDER 6 YEARS
OF AGE. IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY SWALLOW MORE THAN USED FOR BRUSHING, SEEK
PROFESSONIAL HELP OR CONTACT THE NEAREST POISON CONTROL CENTER"
I didn't know toothpaste overdosing occurred ....