From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:06:40 -0400
I was leading a nature walk last spring for the museum.  Some yoyo pointed
out what he called poison ivy.  I discreetly told him that he didn't know
what he was talking about.  To prove my point I broke off a leaf and
touched the petiole to the inside surface of my elbow.  Within two minutes
my skin turned black.....yes, black!  I politely said "Excuse me" and
dashed off to a creek, which was just down the trail...luckily, and
scrubbed the point of contact with mud and quartz sand.  Alas, it was to no
avail.  I had a bad breakout of "poison something" for weeks.  And, yes, I
did admit my stupidity to the group.....

I have to go off for the rest of the day, but here's an interesting
exercise.....What is the longest (most letters) of a latin name (MOLLUSCA
ONLY), genus and species only for right now?  I don't know the answer.
Just curious what we will propose...

Hugs,
Kurt