From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:29:29 -0400
>The other is one we found on the Gulf of Mexico panhandle coast on the
>beach.  I named it at the time Polygra cereolus (Waxy Polygyra), Muhlfeld,
>1818.  It runs 15mm and smaller.  I can't find that name anywhere in the
>Compendium, and now am not sure about it's name.  It is, I think, a land
>snail.  It is waxy white, and looks like a flat coiled rope.
>
>Would someone help me, please?

Sylvia,

It sounds like Polygyra cereolus (Muhlfeld, 1816) (not 1818, I'll get to
that later).  They can actually be found on the top of the 'dunes' within a
few feet of the highest tide mark.  They can also be washed in from further
away.  Difficult to say, unless it was live-collected.

A fellow named Bank (Dutch, I believe) wrote a bibiophile type paper on the
actual publication of the issue including Muhlfeld's description of Helix
cereolus.  Bank concluded that it was actually published in 1816.  Since it
was in Bank's native tongue, I had Sylvard Kool look it over.  He concurred
with my translation.  So the citation should actually read Polygyra
cereolus (Muhlfeld, 1816).

And there you have it... time to eat.   Kurt