From:
Karlynn Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:13:01 -0400
I have more often heard that skate was used for "imitation scallops", my fears
were laid to rest when Julia Child wrote in "Julia Child & More Company" (1979,
Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.):

"A story which keeps turning up in cookbooks is that skate wings are often cut
into rounds and sold as scallops, or 'mock scallops.'  It seemed unlikely to
me, since scallop flesh is grained vertically, and skate
horizontally--moreover, skate meat separates so readily when cooked.
But I checked with two experts.  George Berkowitz said that in his 30 years'
experience in the fish business, he'd never seen it done.  Bob Learson, of the
National Marine Fisheries laboratory in Gloucester, Massachusetts, pointed out
that the way cartilage is distributed in a skate wing would make the process
impractical on a commercial scale.  Both men dismiss the scallop story as an
old wives' tale."

So there you have it!

She follows the above with a tasty-sounding dissertation on the preparation of
skate wings.

While shark meat may be more suitable than skate for this purpose, I personally
would doubt it.

--
Karlynn Morgan

Post Office Box 7606 / Naples, FL  34101-7606 / USA
FAX:  (941) 649-8165