From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:25:32 -0400
Sitting here in the middle of Ground Zero, so to speak, though not being
one of Kentucky's champions much of the time, I must say I believe they
did the wrong thing this time for some right reasons and some really
wrong ones.

The sheer numbers of young earth type creationists in Kentucky scares
the State Department of Education. The last thing the Kentucky schools
want is to have this come up for a vote. Science could lose! In parts of
this state, we could have Snakehandling 101 put on the required
curriculum! (Apologies to any herphandlers out there, Tom E.! I probably
shouldn't have said that.) So the State Dept. of Ed.'s move was really
an attempt to veer around this obvious hazard, and had nothing actually
to do with what is intended to be presented to kids and what isn't. The
teaching of evolution theory was not removed from the curriculum. Quite
the opposite. They were attempting to insure its safety by using neutral
wording instead of the dread scareword, "Evolution," or as Art called
it, "Evilution." But they were also attempting to avoid controversy and
insure their own skins, I'd say, as well as making political hay. But
isn't that what poiticians and political appointees do?  And they didn't
fool the young earth folks for a moment. Or the teachers or the Courier
Journal reporter.  Go read the report from the Louisville Courier
Journal yourselves. It's at:

<http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/1999/9910/05/991005evol.html>

Also have a look at what is going on in Dayton TN, home of the "Scopes
Monkey Trial."  Pretty interesting.

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/1999/9910/04/991004day.html

After you have read the KY article as reported, you might like to
examine the curriculum guideline changes for yourselves. On the Courier
Journal website I couldn't find the actual text of the changes to the
curriculum that was reported in the paper on Tuesday so I went to the
state Dept. of Ed. site and copied for you here the edited portions of
the Curriculum guidelines, comparing them with the August version. State
officials had indicated that changes between the two versions would be
limited to correcting typographical and grammatical errors. Hmm. The
August version is taken from Courier Journal reports.

(If you want to examine the Kentucky public schools' curriculum for
yourself, go have a look at:
<http://www.kde.state.ky.us/oapd/curric/corecontent/science_cc_30.asp>

*************************
MIDDLE SCHOOL LIFE SCIENCE:

August Version
        Biological evolution accounts for the diversity of species developed
through gradual processes over many generations.  Biological adaptations
include changes in structures, behaviors, or physiology that enhance
survival and reproductive success in a particular environment.

Edited Version
        Biological change over time accounts for the diversity of species
developed through gradual processes over many generations.  Biological
adaptations include changes in structures, behaviors, or physiology that
enhance survival and reproductive success in a particular environment.

MIDDLE SCHOOL EARTH SCIENCE:

August Version:
        Fossils provide important evidence of how environmental conditions and
life have evolved.

Edited Version:
        Fossils provide important evidence of how environmental conditions and
life have changed.

HIGH SCHOOL LIFE SCIENCE:

August Version:
        Species evolve. Biological change over time is the consequence of the
interactions of  (1) the potential for a species to increase its
numbers,  (2) the genetic variability of offspring due to mutation and
recombination of genes, (3) a finite supply of the resources required
for life, and (4) natural selection.  The consequences of change over
time provide a scientific explanation for the fossil record of ancient
life forms and for the striking molecular similarities observed among
the diverse species of living organisms.
        The great diversity of organisms is the result of more than 3.5 billion
years of evolution that has filled every available niche with life
forms.  The millions of different species of plants, animals, and
microorganisms that live on Earth today are related by descent from
common ancesters.

Edited Version:
        Species change over time. Biological change over time is the
consequence of the interactions of  (1) the potential for a species to
increase its numbers,  (2) the genetic variability of offspring due to
mutation and recombination of genes, (3) a finite supply of the
resources required for life, and (4) natural selection.  The
consequences of change over time provide a scientific explanation for
the fossil record of ancient life forms and for the striking molecular
similarities observed among the diverse species of living organisms.
        The great diversity of organisms is the result of more than 3.5 billion
years of biological change over time that has filled every available
niche with life forms.  The millions of different species of plants,
animals, and microorganisms that live on Earth today are related by
descent from common ancesters.
*******************

But for what it is worth, and NOT to start a debate, my husband, a
science-aholic from small childhood, explained to an irate me that it
really is wrong to force kids to learn and to play back on a test things
that go against their religious training. If we Americans DO believe in
freedom of religion, that is. Do we? We took prayer out of schools to
appease the nonbelievers among us. Are we going to have to take science
out to appease the believers? Is this a case of trying to make two
wrongs into a right? And where does it stop? (Well, I guess I am making
a pretty broad assumption in asking that question, right?) It would seem
to me that we all need to learn to be more tolerant of each other and
stop fretting so much about the proximity of someone else's feet to our
toes. And that part of my individual freedom is protected by my
insisting on the right of someone else to have his. But where does that
leave us?

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY