From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 16:12:52 -0400
Bob,

There is no 5th edition, or even a 3rd edition. It is being worked on as
we speak (I hope -- who knows the current status?) by Dr. Jerry
Harasewych at the Smithsonian. So the 2nd edition is it! And it is true,
people are getting so they would kill for one, or even pay $480! They
are invaluable, like a third hand, to those of us who have one.  In
fact, when the new one comes out, I won't give up my old one because I
have so many notes in it. I also have the first edition, a really rare
one, so the joke goes, because it is NOT autographed. Tucker is reported
to have autographed far more of his books than exist in the
unautographed state.

If any of us who have a copy of American Seashells can help you at any
time, just ask.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY