From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:01:33 -0400
Dear Andrew,

There is much to be learned about the microfauna just inside the inlets of
NE Florida.  Gently brushing off rocks, algae, sponges, seagrasses through
a fine mesh sieve can be very productive (and lend insight into habitat
preference).  I don't have any reason to recommend one spot over another;
we need to find out for ourselves what differences may exist among these
stations.

If you aren't averse to drift-collecting along the oceanic beaches, you may
wish to focus on stranded monfilament fishing line and clumps of Glassy
Tube Worm (Spiochaetopterus sp.) shed integuments.  I have found remarkable
numbers of specimens and species by harvesting these materials and later
drying and shaking out/sifting the particulates that foul them.  You can
postpone the scrutiny (best done under a microscope) to time parcels less
conducive to fieldwork.

Harry