From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:18:48 -0500
Re your sentence below:

> For example, if an epoxy compound was used, it can be
> very difficult to dissolve - actually, impossible with any solvent you are
> likely to have at home.

Wouldn't acetone dissolve almost anything, or not?  We all (females at
least) have fingernail polish remover around the house.  Is acetone harmful
to the shell?

I have a particularly good specimen that has been coated with something like
lacquer.  Would a soak in acetone remove the paint?  Or would something else
be better?

Sylvia S. Edwards
Huntsville, Alabama