From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:53:07 -0700
From: Ardeth Hardin <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 7:29 AM
Subject: [CONCH-L] New Virus

> Here is part of a message I received this morning concerning a virus.
There
> was also an article in the paper and on the news about it.
> More information on the link below.
>
> "The newly discovered VBS/BubbleBoy worm changes the rules of
> the game.  By simply reading ehttp://mail a user may infect an
> entire system.  This proof-of-concept worm is the tip of the
> iceberg for what is to likely come in the future."
>

> http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/mcurrent.htm

To All,

This new virus takes advantage of some aspects of Windows 95/98 and Windows
Explorer.  It can sneak in and mess up your system, BUT if you don't use
these systems you have no problem.  For the rest of us 90% who do use these
systems there is a patch that will fix all, that was released by Microsoft
on 31 August.  It is available at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/   If
you go there and click on "product updates" it will read your system and
tell you what critical updates are required.  If anyone wants the long, full
version of all of this, just give me a ring off list at [log in to unmask] and
I'll forward the whole story from Tourbus, a great e-mail weekly
publication.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

P.S.  On the shell front, I just received my copy of "Recent Xenophoridae"
by Kurt Kreipl and Axel Alf.  A great book and a welcome addition to
Ponder's work published in the 1980s.  If you are interested in carrier
shells, this is a must have volumne.