From:
Ed Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:08:17 -0500
At 08:57 AM 11/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Ross and the list,
>Kobie pretty well spelled it out about narcosis and the bends. Narcosis
>starts about 80 feet (25 or so meters) and gets worse with depth. It is like
>being drunk and moving in slow motion. It's only happened to me once at 130
>feet. The bends can happen at any depth if you ascend too fast.

In general you can't get bent if you stay shallower than 30 ft.  What you
can get from any depth is an embolism if you don't rember to breath out
regularly, and it's more likely to happen at shallow depths.  Also, in
general you won't get bent from a one tank dive.  It's when you do several
dives a day that you start risking the bends.  Finally, adherance to dive
tables or a dive computer is no guarantee against getting bent.  It's
unlikely, but you can get the bends even though you were within acceptable
limits according to the dive tables.  Other considerations, such as getting
dehydrated or overexertion, can make you more susceptable to the bends.