From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:52:17 EST
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing Pilsbry's 4-part Land Mollusca of North America,
which are, apparently, still available from the Academy of Natural Sciences
in Philadelphia for $140. But, before picking up the phone to surrender my
credit card number, I have decided to seek the wisdom of the group.

Is this still the (only) authoritative work on the subject? Has much happened
-in terms of descriptions of new species, revisions, etc.- in the area of
U.S. land molluscs since 1948 that would render Pilsbry's work obsolete? I
know from my work with rotifers that even a very outdated publication from a
100 years ago could sometimes be a valuable source of taxonomic information.
I suppose the same principle applies here. My main use of this book would be
to determine species of some eastern U.S. land snails.

Thanks.

Aydin Orstan