From:
"Dollmann, Ronald" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:11:02 -0500
Hello Conch-L,

List members have been so helpful in the past with insightful shelling
information on various island paradises that I would like you to consider
one more location.

A colleague of mine is traveling to St. John Island, in the Virgin Island
chain, and he and his family is in the early stages of shell collecting.  Is
there any one on CONCH-L who might be familiar with the molluscan species
that might be found on or around the island, or in the vicinity.  Would they
find most Caribbean species there, or are there specific species more common
than others?  Are there any recommended shelling locations, either beaches
or diving locations, he is an avid scuba diver and the rest of the family
are snorkelers.  Are there any known regulations on collecting, or
transporting specimens off the Island?  I have already read on one of the
web sites that it is a rule of the Virgin Island National Park on St. John
Island that "conch shells cannot be removed from park waters".  I presume
they refer to the Queen Conch.  Your comments are welcomed, and as always,
so is a recommended reference.

Ron Dollmann
Buffalo, New York