From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 07:43:43 PST
Helmut Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
homepage: http://www.netwing.at/nisters/

or

Natural History Department of the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11 a
A-6020 Innsbruck
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 (-40)

Dear Ross Mayhew,                   Innsbruck, 2. 4. 1998

first best greetings from Innsbruck (Tyrol / Austria). I saw your
annoncement on conch-l.
Let me introduce ourselves to you. My mother, Dr. Irmgard Nisters,
86 years, former lawyer, and I, 44 years, former chemist, we
both are responsible since 1972 as honorary collaborators of the
zoological department of the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum for the quite nice, by us well sistemated, but small shell collection of the museum. The collection contains mainly inland-shells from
Europe and Mediterranean-seashells and a few "exotic" species.
As the shell collection together with other scientific collections
has been damaged in great parts by a flood desaster in 1985,
I always am looking to build up and to enlarge the collection
by own excursions with self collected material and by donations
of friends, scientists, private collectors and dealers, who are willing to help me. Since 1985 we had to revise the shell collection from
beginning, we had to wash by hand the whole material and to
put in new plastic boxes, the micro shells into glasstubes. In 1992
the shell collection has been transferred with the other collection
to a new. but more important to a save place.
As I am interested to have species around the world and from
interesting locations I also would ask you for some donation to
the museum in Innsbruck.  It is very interesting to compare the
shells from different localities in their form, shape and colors
and I think Canada is very interesting. As Pectinidae and
Epitoniidae really are one of our favorite shells, I would be
pleased and thankful if you can send me Chlamys islandicus
(of which the museum has only an old and nearly gray speciment)
and some Epitoniidae. I would be interested in any Canadiam
material what you can offer me.
I hope you are willing for a donation to the museum of Innsbruck
and to hear from you as soon as possible. In case of a donation,
we will put your name into the annual report of the museum, the
next will be edited in 1999.
For today it's all and I remain with my best regards, also by my
mother.

yours sincerly Helmut

p.s:. As I am now on internet and conch-l. since about one month
        I have more opportunity to contact more persons and maybe
        new friends.