From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 04:41:22 -1100
Hi Distinguished Conch-L'ers,

I just got in from snorkeling, and found a small shell that I have
never found before.  At first glance I thought it was a tiny cypraea
microdon, but on closer inspection I realized it was some species
of erato, even though it looks a lot like microdon.  It is 3.9mm long,
cream colored, with magenta tips at the anterior end (more distinct
on the aperture side).  It also has "bumps" on the dorsum, similar
to cypraea staphylaea except relatively closer together, and a dor-
sal groove like cypraea nucleus or granulata.  The whole shell is
quite glossy.

I suppose this may be one of the most common eratos, but as
none of my books devote very much space to them, I can't even
come close to identifying it.  Any help would be appreciated.  It
was found stuck to the bottom of a coral slab on the beach side
of the fringing reef, in 5 feet of water, dead.  Location was near the
mouth of Pago Pago harbor, Faga'alu, American Samoa.

Thanks,

Don