From:
Dieter Stoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:35:02 +0200
Hi George,

Manado is a wonderful place. I have been living and diving in this area
for some time. Off Manado bay there are 5 islands for diving like
Bunaken and Manado Tua ( old Manado ). The diving spots out there are
regarded as the worlds best, with drop-offs and an unbelievable variety
of corals and also shells. You can find beautiful Conus aurisiacus in
the small caves directly at the drop-offs during the wall dives in
around 20 - 30 m depth. The island beaches are very good for shelling,
especially the 3 islands not having small villages on it. Since I am a
Murex lover, a lot of Murex shells have been collected : Naquetia
triformis, Chicoreus cf. brunneus, Ch. torrefactus, Ch. banksii and many
uncommon and even rare specimen. Bunaken and its surrounding is a
national reserve where any collecting is prohibited, but the remote
island have enough beaches and reefs for collecting.

From Manado there are shuttle boats to the islands north of Sulawesi at
the border to the Philipines where you may find diving spots with active
underwater volcanoes ( minimum one to two days are required for going
there ). The corals and shells quite surprising there, colors and sizes
are much different to what is described in the books due to the
temperature, sulfur, strong current and other circumstances.
Unfortunately difficult to find and access. You need to know a local
diving instructor and / or speak 'bahasa indonesia' otherwise you will
be lost in this remote area. Try the 'Murex diving center' to get
additional infos there.

On the northern rim of Sulawesi there are lovely remote beaches and you
should go there just with a local driver. By the time I have been there
I did not find serious local shell dealers, just some shells in souvenir
shops or the diving center boys.

In addition I found some landshells, even though I am not familiar with
them at all. Sulawesi is regarded as one of the worlds island with the
biggest variety of flora and fauna, so keep your eyes open above and
under the surface.

If any further information is necessary, please let me know.

best regards
Dieter Stoll