From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:15:27 +1200
>At least the operculum from Morum oniscus is almost nonexistent - it's very,
>very tiny (vestigial) and light colored. I've tried to keep the operc for
>every oniscus I've collected (quite a few) and succeed in finding only about
>1/3 of them.

Good one!

It may well be that not all specimens of a given morumine species are
operculate. I have collected 2 such (nonharpid) species.

The first Voutomitra banksi I found had a minute (1.5mm in a 30mm
shell) operc, which looks ridiculous mounted in the aperture; the few
subsequent specimens had no operc... and I looked hard!

The one Exilia expeditionis I have found had none, but the specimen
of this exceedingly rare beast currently on offer by Femorale (hi
Marcus!) as "Leucosyrinx nsp" (if Marcus hasn't yet had the chance to
update the site) has a good-sized operc.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand