From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:38:52 -0500
Dear Russ,

Isaac Lea named the shell in 1868 and illustrated it in the original paper
(Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences Philadelphia vol. 6 p. 340-341)
and in vol 12 p. 100 of Observations on the genus Unio (both pl. liv fig.
24).  Most of Lea's important specimens went to the USNM as a result of an
acrimonious schism with a certain Quaker colleague in Philadelphia.  Ask
Gary R. about the City of Brotherly Love in that era.

I attached a scanned image and text from the reprinted second version.

In the interest of sparing listmail clutter (and exempting myself from the
consequent cyberfallout), I am sending the attachments under separate cover
to your personal emailbox.

Harry

 06:50 PM 1/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Can anyone help me locate any specimens of Lithasia curta?  Burch mentions
>it in his freshwater gastropods of North America, and Goodrich lists it
>from the Ohio/Tennessee systems, but I can't find any reference nor
>illustration of it.  I have been unable to find it at any of the major
>collections (DMNH, AMNH, Michigan, etc).  Any info would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Russ Minton             phone: 205-348-0380
>University of Alabama   email: [log in to unmask]
>Box 870345
>Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]