From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:45:38 -0600
Conch-L,

Shell dealers have come in for a lot of attention lately, not all of it
favorable, and some of that is my fault.  I really deplore this, especially
because most shell dealers are really special people, without whom our hobby
not only would be a poorer pursuit, but indeed might barely exist.

Some of us, like Jenny, are able to travel extensively for shells, or simply
live near a coast and so are able to collect our own. Others, perhaps the
majority, are inland shell aficionadoes, have scanty vacations or scarce
funds, are too infirm or busy to pursue their own shells, etc. These
shell-struck folks must find another way to satisfy their desire for
knowledge and for the objects of their devotion -- trading or shell dealers.
And to trade, let's face it, one needs some trading stock.

Without shell dealers, our hobby would be much thinner on the ground.
Perhaps there would not even be enough of us to make a difference, to
publicize the mollusks, to make people aware of the need to conserve them as
well as the birds, the wildflowers, the fish, the mammals that exist as
symbols for "Our Vanishing Wildlife."  Recently we had much discussion on
the number of younger shellers we had on this list.  It is from the young
among us that some of the very best malacologists grow.  Far fewer of us
would mean far fewer of them coming along. There'd hardly be a COA, and
without it, our grants to malacology would disappear, and a lot less
molluscan research would be undertaken as a result.  We could play around
with this game of "For want of a shoe the horse was lost" for a good while
longer. The potential losses (besides the oft cited loss of great pleasure
in and appreciation for the natural world), it would seem, are immense.

But what I really want to stimulate is a good look at the benefits offered
by our dealers. My vehicle for that exercise is a description of My Ideal
Dealer.

My Ideal Dealer would publish a list with lots of exciting specimens of the
families in which I am interested. He'd have the best of the best, stuff
none of the others would be offering. Of course! But there would be much
else he would do to recommend himself as My Ideal.

My ideal Dealer would collect many of his wares himself, and be prepared to
tell me about their habitats, their faunal associations, the lifestyles
which often differentiate between two closely-related species. He would be a
person hungry to learn more about his wares, to discover new information
about the animals which produce them, to understand why they live as they do
and produce the kinds of shells they do, why they are scarce or plentiful,
what dangers their kind face. He would be an expert to whom I could turn for
dependable and stimulating information.

My Ideal Dealer would pad his offerings with interesting marine curiosities
to feed my hunger for knowledge about the sea and about life on earth. If I
am armchair bound, I depend upon him to take me "over world horizons":
specimens of Spondylus still bearing their minute communities for my study
and investigation, or brachiopods, those "texas longhorn" bryozoans,
urchins, glass sponges, the fantasia of the ocean world.

My Ideal Dealer would not pad his offerings with specimens of common shells
offered under new or little known synonyms.  I have nothing against knowing
that this is the form known as "rosea" or "blankwateri."  In fact I would
like to know this, but I would hope he would not entice me into buying one
more specimen of Cypraea felina under an exotic name for an exotic price.
(Never mind that I should know better myself! We're talking ideal, remember.)

My Ideal Dealer would flesh out his list with interesting comments and
tidbits about the shells he offers for sale. "A rare deepwater form only
taken in the waters off s. Tasmania, it has blood-red stripes."

My Ideal Dealer would be honest in his description of the specimens he
offers for sale. Goes without saying, really.

My Ideal Dealer would know all about the shells he sells me, their normal
habitat, correct authors, exact spelling, up-to-date taxonomic assignment.

My Ideal Dealer would provide excellent data for the shells he sends me, on
attractive labels, perhaps even "works of art" on which he would give real
information, dropping all those extraneous space fillers like "collected on"
before the habitat and "of water" after the depth. He would have purchased
the best available, in terms of data as well as specimens, so that he would
have the best to sell to me. He would be honest to a fault, saying that the
specimen had a tiny nick in the nacre which detracted from its gem quality,
if he knew I was a collector to whom this would matter. He wouldn't sell me
a cowrie with a worm tube scraped off the inside, saying it was "personally
live taken."

My Ideal Dealer would be interested in me and my collection. He would
remember (or keep notes about) what I am interested in, what he has sold me
in the past, what I need, what would make nice additions to my collection.
When he sends me "gift" shells, as a few dealers still do, he would send
shells which fit well with my collection, not just obvious clunkers he
happened to have on hand. Yeah, I know...shouldn't look a gift horse in the
mouth, but this is My Ideal.

My Ideal Dealer would deal with my orders promptly and with care. If
something is damaged in shipment, he would take the return with good grace,
making every effort to replace the damaged or unsatisfactory shell. Heck, my
Ideal Dealer would never even send an unsatisfactory shell! He would pack
with care and clean materials, and he would consider how I will get that
tape-covered little package open when it arrives. My Ideal Dealer might even
mark the place on the box for me to insert my blade to begin slitting the
tape maze!

My Ideal Dealer would give back to the hobby which gives him his livelihood:

My Ideal Dealer would give of his knowledge. He would have so much knowledge
to offer!  After all, he handles all those shells...who better to understand
the limits of a species well, the varieties, the freaks, the size range, the
geographical extent?  He would tell me in small notes accompanying
purchases, how he knows this cone is this and not that. Or whether this is a
normal specimen or an unusual one.

My Ideal Dealer would offer this knowledge to the shell world through
articles in club newsletters, in American Conchologist and the other
international publications, on Conch-L. Perhaps he would even write books
setting forth his understanding gained through experience. He would give
talks at club meetings an conventions.

My Ideal Dealer would be a willing participant in Conchologists of America,
supporting the organization that gives strength to U.S. shelling, serving in
any capacity he can,  helping with shell shows and trophies, serving in
board positions, on both the governing board and the editorial board,
helping with meetings and conventions, assisting with the Lambis Group who
create and manage COA's Internet presence, strengthening this entire bond
that COA represents.

My Ideal Dealer would support and participate in a shell club, hopefully the
one of my choice, attending its shows, donating to its auction, having a
care for its health and welfare. Perhaps he would even lead or form a shell
club in his own area, providing guidance and adhesive for his club and
promoting it.

Pretty stiff requirements to be My Ideal Dealer, right?  But I caution you
again to remember we are talking ideals.  Still, as I constructed "My Ideal
Dealer" I drew inspiration from the kindnesses and noble or selfless acts
that I have known shell dealers to perform for their customers and for the
shelling community on a frequent, sometimes daily basis. I know that there
are shell dealers doing each and every one of these services I mention.  It
would be great if there were such a shell dealer, but also it would be
impossible. No human shell dealer could, in a single lifetime, fulfill all
these wants!

But there's a community of them out there, and all of them have something to
offer in the way of Ideal Dealerhood. They each do special things, fill
special needs, have special kindnesses to offer.  We can make our own
composite Ideal Dealer by getting to know them and giving them a chance,
instead of finding fault with them as a group. I, for one, want to thank
them as a group for their services to us.

Lynn Scheu