From:
Wendy Orr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:02:03 PDT
I'm a Canadian-Australian author; I've always loved sea shells but have never collected in a scientific manner. I hope my question won't be seen as frivolous.

The  book I'm working on at the moment is a children's story set on a fictitious volcanic island in the Pacific between Hawaii and the Galapagos. I would very much like my ten year-old character to have a shell horn or whistle of some type, that would be small enough to wear on a string around her neck. I understand that the triton or cassis can be used as a trumpet, but have only seen references to  larger shells - does anyone know if a smaller one would work in this way - and if so, would the noise be shriller?

Thank you.
Wendy Orr

web site: www.cnl.com.au/users/wendyorr