From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:22:18 -0800
Hi Paul, there are many other species you can add to your list of mollusks
that can make you very sick.  For example, in the Pacific NW we had some
people become sick after eating Fusitriton oregonensis (Redfield, 1848).
The salivary glands contain a toxin.  These snails are quite large (commonly
4 inches long) and scuba divers often collect them.  They are in the family
Ranellidae.

In Asia (China and Taiwan), many different species of snails can become
toxic when certain bacteria colonize them and produce TTX (tetrodotoxin).
This toxin is quick acting and deadly (the same toxin sometime kills sushi
eaters in Japan when fugu is not properly prepared). Some of the snails
linked to illness include: Charonia sauliae, Tutufa lissostoma, Babylonia
japonica, Rapana rapiformis, R. venosa, Natica lineate, N. vitellus,
Polinices didyma, and several species of Nassariidae (Nassarius clathrata,
Zeuxis scalaris and Z. siquijorensis).

These are in addition to the PSP and mercury poisonings already discussed.

Bert Bartleson Olympia, WA. USA