From:
Ringwald Fabien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:58:26 +0200
Olivier,

I feel that the "real" spurca verdensium comes from
Cabo Verde and specimens of so-called "verdensium"
coming from Canary's Islands are not properly speaking
verdensium. And that may be a source of confusion.

To me, The frequent (deep) purple to rose colour of
the base can be a first matter of separation.

Secondly : teeth are shorter (espacially on the
collumelar side on the posterior extremity) and
thicker.

The base is often thicker, and on elder specimen,
rhomboid, looking alike in some way to the acicularis
sanctahelenae shape

(but is sancth. an acicularis? got a serious doubt
about it, due to the geological history of
saint-Hélène Island, it's relative proximity to the
african coast and the way of the marine currents in
this part of the world...Debate is open)

Cheers

Fabien

http://perso.orange.fr/loic.limpalaer/Taurus/Cypraeidae/spurcaverdensium.htm