From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:52:23 -0300
Fabio

I kept all specimens we had of Simulopsis immersed on baby oil. It maintained the shell intact for
years.

In some cases we use alcohol with glycerin on periostracum, keeps it soft too.

Marcus

: Re: RES: shell cracking

I wonder if you keep a shell that is prone to cracking in a sealed ziplock bag or hermetic vial
might help prevent shell or periostracum cracking because of minimized changes in humidity. I have
not experimented with this, but I think it might help. Of course, sudden temperature changes are
probably bad for any shell, especially fragile ones.

I remember that shells of Simpulopsis spp., a land snail from Brazil, are somewhat flexible in life,
and become brittle when empty, but I do not remember what I did (if I did anything) to prevent them
from cracking.

Fabio

Checked by AVG Free Edition.