From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:56:36 -0300
Fabio

I also bought my first shells from the trailer in front of Santos’ aquarium, back in 1976. It is
still there (remodeled of course), and it belongs to Luiz Alonso Ferreira, who is the owner of a
small museum as well.

From 1976 to 1983 the only contact I had with shells was when I went to the beach, or buying in
small shops in our "Chinatown" which had all sorts of junk – among it shells.

In 1983 we went to a SBMa convention, where we met some collectors who would become our best friends
until today!

In our site there is a small article telling how we started our business (I copied the text here - I
am not sending the link here since my purpose is not to direct anyone to my commercial website...)

How Femorale was started?
We have been collecting shells since 1976 and had no contact with other local collectors until 1983
when we went to a Shell Convention of SBMa (Sociedade Brasileira de Malacologia). There we met most
of those who are our best friends today. We also met our good friend Bernardo Linhares from
Salvador, State of Bahia and he asked us if we would be interested in selling some of the shells he
and his divers used to get when diving for ornamental fishes. Then, we started to sell shells from
Salvador to collectors at our meetings (which started to happen periodically after the Convention).
We then started to exchange shells with some shell dealers in the USA and Europe.

In 1986 José and a friend went to Miami to sell shells to Len Hill there and visited some others
dealers as Bob and Betty Lipe (who became our American family!), Al Deynzer and Ed Hanley. Two years
later we went together to the USA for the first time. We participated in the St. Petersburg shell
show in February of 1988 and that was our most exciting trip until then. We both spoke English
poorly (we still don't speak very well…) and we had only common shells to sell. We liked it very
much and we decided to go to the COA convention in July of the same year in Fort Myers, Florida. We
enjoyed it so much that we haven't missed a single COA convention since then.
In 1989 we went to Europe for the first time and visited many shell collectors, dealers and
participated in a shell show in London.

We officially opened our business in May of 1989. We have already sent some lists and had received
good response from the shell collectors, most of whom became very close friends.

We traveled to many places as Ecuador, Costa Rica, Peru, Chile, Aruba, American Samoa and Western
Samoa, Marshall Is., Egypt, New Zealand, Australia, The Philippines, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas,
Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, São Tome and Príncipe (Africa), Arab Emirates,
Mexico, New Caledonia, Japan, Trindade Is. (a Brazilian island In the middle of the Atlantic), all
the countries in Europe, many states in the USA, and of course, many beautiful places in Brazil.

We have been to many shell shows all over the world, and all COA conventions since 1988.

We enjoy everything about our business and we hope to keep doing a good job!

Why Femorale?

In 1985 our late friend Renato Moscatelli offered to print some labels for exhibitions with a shell
printed on it. I draw some shells and we chose the Cymatium femorale. When we had to choose a name
for our official business, we decided to keep the logo and the name!

Marcus

Checked by AVG Free Edition.