From:
Robert Lipe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:54:47 -0500
Bobbie,  You got me thinking about what our St. Petersburg shell club
has done in the past to promote Shell study.  Betty and I joined the
club in 1957.  It's hard to believe that it's been that long.  Our club
is a non-profit organization so we donate profits to deserving people or
organizations that study shells and other sealife.  Many times students
doing graduate work.  We were one of the first to give free collections
to schools, which we don't do anymore.  It's a lot of work.  We meet at
the Pinellas County Science Center.  A couple of our past members help
start the Science Center.  We donate money every year to meet there.

Our membership is smaller but we still have fun.  Last year we had our
60th show at the Seminole Recreation Center and had our best show in 5
years.  We will be there again on Feb. 23 and 24th of next year.  I'm
sure that having the show helps hold the club together.  When we have
field trips, very few shells are taken. We mostly photograph the shells
in their natural habitat.  With the digital cameras it's so easy. By the
way the shells are still there like they were years ago.   Sometimes we
count the different species and how many of each we see.  Something like
birders do.  On the last trip we saw Lightning whelks everywere eating
clams, and the cross-barred venus were there by the hundreds, and many
many more species.  It's nice to see the sunrise on the sand bars and
mud flats that stretch for miles.  I guess I'll quit for now. Betty and
I also belong to the Clearwater Shell Club which is doing quite well.

Bob

Robert Lipe Specimens
www.theshellstore.com
348 Corey Ave