From:
Scott Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:07:47 -0800
To get young and older people interested in our pastime, we need to make it
sound fun and exciting.  When faced with communicating my interest in
mollusks to those outside the circle, so to speak, I refrain from referring
to myself as a shell collector.

Instead, depending on the situation, I will claim:
• To be interested in natural history or invertebrate zoology
• To be an avid scuba diver and small game hunter
• To be a book collector with an emphasis on the history of the biological
sciences
 This generally leads to people asking neutral questions in pursuit of a
better understanding of what I am talking about.

On the other hand, the moniker “Shell collector” has a frivolous air about
it.  It sounds like we might show up in town after the Beanie Baby
convention.  Frankly, I also think “shell club” as a suffix does not
positively advertise the depth of intellectual stimulation afforded by such
associations.
I personally believe there is enormous latent interest for all branches of
natural history, but the concept of making it a formal hobby or recreational
avenue is in need of repackaging.  There are so many dimensions to our field
of interest and it is inadequately communicated by the term “shell club”.
Let’s be honest with ourselves, reflecting back on high school it wasn’t
exactly the cool kids who were members of the Latin or Chess clubs, so we
are up against a preexisting negative prejudice right from the get go.
I propose that when one talks about our interest, it is preferable not to
immediate resort to the explanation “I collect sea shells”.  Be a little coy
and creative and get people interested in understanding you and your
interest.  At some point, you can then talk about maintaining a collection
of shells for whatever reason fits the course of dialog you have taken.

If we don’t give body and shape to the perception of our pursuit, others’
bias will.
Scott