Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:17:25 -0700
Can anyone relate to this?

I SCUBA dove for many years when younger and an accident took this hobby
away from me.  I have very poor vision and always used an optical fitted
mask.

A group of us were wreck diving in Thiepval Cannel, BC.  That year elnino
came well up into British Columbia and we saw many different fish species -
one being the Blue Shark - a fabulous looking shark when seen.

Well as usual visibility was not great and we were at about 30 feet.  My
partner spotted them first.  3 gorgeous blues paralleling us.  We stopped,
took the vertical position as taught; but, I guess one of the blues didn't
read the manual.  It came straight at us, it grabbed me by my mask and
regulator.  I guess I tasted bad as he released me just as quickly as he bit
me.  Back to the subject - He ruined my $300.00 optical mask and my
regulator - I was NOT a happy diver.  I also sport a few scars on my face
from this encounter (but that didn't bother me as much as my ruined
equipment). One tooth mark right above the eye (I guess I was lucky that's
all it did) - it was a good thing I had on a big, deep, strong mask.
Fortunately I always brought two masks and an extra regulator plus a good
first aid kit so the rest of our diving that weekend wasn't ruined
Of the 13 of us diving 6 of us saw these sharks.  Fortunately I had a good
partner - it's hard to see in salt water without a mask and he saw me safely
back to our boat.

Now to bring this to shells.  The wreck (which if I remember correctly sat
at about 40 feet) had more Ceratastoma foliatum amongst the anemones than I
have ever seen.  They were small and most had a lot of iron rust staining on
them so none were collected.

Avril Bourquin

 BTW: .  I continued to dive for several more years.