From:
Martha Chiarchiaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2008 19:10:37 -0500
I really appreciated the concern about collecting less-than-perfect material!!  I joke with my husband that these are my "educational" shells.  I have found some broken shells that are very interesting, especially if they beautifully show the interior of a shell structure.  There's something about the "obession" of collecting shells that makes it hard for me to put back a shell if it has any interesting characteristics.  I've tried to be better recently, but I've divided my shelling into three categories:  collection shells, educational shells, and school shells (as part of my retirement plans, I hope to talk about conchology with school students and will let them choose from my collection of shells in good shape, but not prime for my collections.)

I highly agree with the statement (as I say to my husband), it's my collection and I'll collect whatever I want (as long as I still have space for it which is beginning to be questionable.)

Martha from Massachusetts