From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 06:35:24 -0700
This is not an original quote and was applied to President Reagan’s
environmental track record but I will roll it out one more time.  "Even a
blind cow will find an acorn once in awhile"!

I just returned from two weeks on the Big Island of Hawaii.  While I was
there the Hilo City Council turned down a $100,000,000 project to incinerate
all garbage on the island.  They are instead going to improve their
recycling program and landfill operations.

I also attended an Earth Day program at a local beach park.  There were
dozens of projects done by a local charter school at Kailua-Kona as well as
booths talking about the invasive species threats to the islands, "Opihi"
[three endemic limpet species] restoration and reef keepers who dressed up
as trigger fish and told the kids not to walk on the coral. These were very
well though out projects of high quality.  For example one group has been
studying how the sea urchin populations have changed in a marine reserve
over time.  They have now studied the same location for ten years.

So my message is while the federal system in the USA may be severely
constrained right now states and local governments can still make a huge
difference. Don't loose hope and don't stop sticking up for our molluscan
neighbors.  Bert Bartleson Olympia, WA, USA