From:
Chris Waldrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 22:55:50 -0400
I have a question about storage of my shell collection and apologies if it
is has already been discussed to death in years past but I am new to the
list...
I see mention on Conch-L that cotton should never be used to line the bottom
of glass vials or specimen bottles or to glue the operculums to before
inserting into the shell due to it giving off acid vapors over time.  Some
people there suggest using polyester instead .  I have been buying the "100%
pure" cotton balls from a pharmacy that say "non chlorine bleached" on the
package.  Should this be a problem?

 I can go to the fabric store or Wal Mart tomorrow and buy some of the Poly
Fill if this is recommended.

Also I normally use Elmers white glue to glue the operculums onto the small
tuft of cotton.  Is this still acceptable?  Form now on I will begin to use
the poly fill if that is what is suggested, but for the operculums I have
already glued, I think it would make a mess to try and unglue them and
change these to polyester.

Thgank you for any advice- I have been out of the hobby for a while and am
just now becoming interested again.

Chris Waldrup

Apex, NC