From:
GARY FREDRICKSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:16:58 -0700
Hi Linda
My friend from who I inherited a large part of my shell collection removed all the cotton from her shell boxes twenty years ago. A very large task by the way. I don't know if it was the threat of insects or something to do with cotton absorbing moisture from the air. Probably other reasons too.
I have continued to use polyester which you can buy as quilt batting for very little money. To date I haven't seen any information that the polyester degrades and gives off harmful products. The shells she changed twenty years ago don't seem to have been hurt by it. I know the foam that sometimes comes under shells in those lovely little boxes can  and does degrade. I would love to hear other opinions positive or negative for cotton or polyester. Thanks.
Gary