From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:01:32 -0400
Matt Blaine wrote:

> Ellen and Martin,
> Thank you for the shark anti attack suggestions. I always try not to
> dive at dawn or at dusk. Your suggestions are very helpful.
> I have no morbid fear of sharks and have seen them in the water while
> diving. I have respect for them however and I certainly do not want to
> become a meal. There are dangers in just living (driving on the freeway
> etc.),  but putting myself  in extreme danger because of ignorance is
> something that I try to avoid.
> Thank you again!
> Matt

Sharks are never aggressive toward divers, except where they are being
chummed for "shark dives" (which are now illegal in Florida) and
spearfishers who all know to just give up their catch.

The vast majority of shark bites are waders among baitfish - the shark
bites but spits the wader out - and surfers who look like seals.

Sharks are an insignificant threat to man, but man has wiped out much of
the shark population for soup fins and out of unjustified fear. We are
the apex predator of the oceans.