From:
"Batt, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:18:28 -0500
I've purchased several specimens in California and got them back to home in western NY in my checked luggage without any breakage at all by first getting a tupperware container (a cheap one from the supermarket will do) that is at least an inch bigger than the shell in all dimensions, then pouring in some powdered laundry soap, setting the shell in (one per container), and then filling the rest of the container with more powdered soap, totally covering all the spines etc.  Then put on the seal and tape shut (just in case the seal decided to try to pop open).  When I got home all I did was open the container and gently run water into it until all the soap bubbled out, and there was the linguafelis, with no breakage.  I'm a bit leery about wrapping in paper towels, etc as if you're not careful you might forget and break a spine or two in the unwrapping process.