From:
Bernd Sahlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:24:05 +0100
Dear Listers,

after some time of more or less silent reading I will now publish my
official introduction on the list. 40 years after having finished my study
of marine biology at Kiel university (but never having worked in that
profession), I now have retired from my job in the intraocular lens
business. After moving to a new home in Oldenburg, next to the Baltic Sea,
I´m now a full time volunteer at the private owned shell museum at Cismar,
Germany (www.hausdernatur.de). My special interest are the scaphopods
worldwide and those who are interested in this group may know my databases
at  my scaphopod homepage at www.berndsahlmann.de. These MS-Access databases
will reach version 1.0 in the next weeks and, hopefully, the site will be
reconstructed soon and new pictures of scaphs added.
In the last few years I was able to obtain a lot of scaphopod specimens and
my complete collection will be transferred one by one to the museum in the
next years. Besides the all day museum work, I´m now starting with a
database of online mollusc books, articles etc for our museum library. Up to
now I have entered approx. 1400 entries from all molluscan groups and
downloaded all of them, as well as all marine expedition reports available
and a lot of journal volumes from Google and archive.org. As we have a thick
wire to the internet at the museum it summed up to more than 100 GB in the
last few months. If you are interested in this project, contact me off the
list.
One of our next scientific works at the museum will deal with the green
Dentalium aprinum. We have received giant, very straight shells of about 135
mm from Indonesia and wonder whether it grows up this size in all regions.
We therefore look for series of this common species with good data.

Best regards

Bernd Sahlmann
Haus der Natur, Cismar
Germany