Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:33:49 -0400
There is also a discussion of this and other archival and curatorial
topics in Chapter 5: Archival and Curatorial Methods,in The Mollusks: A
Guide to Their Study, Collection, and Preservation by edited by Sturm,
Pearce, and Valdes; 2006. pp. 45-57.

> The linked article on Byne's Disease is correct in most points, except for
> cleaning techniques. Bleaches, detergents or solvents are unnecessary (and
> ineffective) for removing Byne's salts from shells. Just soak the shell in
> clean water overnight to break up the crystals, then scrub it lightly with
> a toothbrush under running water and dry it thoroughly.
> Another piece on the same subject is at:
>
> http://www.conchologistsofamerica.org/articles/y2002/0209_callomon.asp
>
> PC.
>
> Paul Callomon
> Collections Manager
> Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
> Department of Malacology
> Academy of Natural Sciences
> 1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
> Tel 215-405-5096
> Fax 215-299-1170
> Secretary, American Malacological Society
> On the web at www.malacological.org

> Getting disease problems as related to moisture results from other agents
> in
> the moisture or that react with water.  Along with humidity control, the
> next line of defense is control of the materials that come into contact
> with
> the shells.  Several other Conch-Lers will be responding with details.
> Right now my time is short.  So, I'll refer you to an article about Byne's
> Disease.
> http://z14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist_Forum/index.php?showtopic=216
>
> Marlo

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine