Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 05:51:46 -0400
Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.  Unfortunately, I do not have the
specimen for further photos or examination.  So, my inclination is to go
with Illex coindetii (Vérany 1839) as suggested by Doug.  I came to the same
conclusion upon my review of Abbott.  The specimen is now in the collection
of the Florida Museum of Natural History and may be added to their DNA
database.  I'll watch for their results.

Marlo
merritt island, fl

On June 14 Marlo wrote:

I believe I may have narrowed to the genus, but have insufficient experience
with squid to get to the species level.  Caught in deep water off Key West.
Any suggestions?

http://z14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist_Forum/index.php?showtopic=1737