From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:15:05 -0400
Vicky Wall wrote:

> Hello from hot and humid NC...
>
> I have a question about liquid silicone for coating shells. I have seen
> on ebay "liquid silicone" listed as a waterproofer for shoes and boots.
> Would this be the same or similar to other silicone liquids mentionned
> before on the list serv? Would it be safe to use on shells? Thanks for
> any help.
>
> Vicky Wall
>
> Mayodan, NC

I've used silicone on shells. It comes in spray cans, is fairly cheap,
and is food grade or non-food grade. The difference between food grade
and non is the cost, otherwise it's identical and equally as pure. You
can get it at any auto parts store.

It's OK, but not as good as Scott's Liquid Gold (available at yer super
market). My shells are mostly on display on open shelves in sunny SoFla,
and those done with Scott's have faded the least of any prep I've used.