From:
Sheila Tagaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:05:49 +0800
Dear Paul & All,

This “Lambis lambis with lirae” is interesting and probably a new
species. Some of the Strombus people are very lumping in fashion, and
I frankly don’t believe that the L. arachnoides is a hybrid: there are
way too many of them, and so are the L. lambis with the lirae: too
many, we got dozens in six years. Lambis are pretty local
occasionally: L. robusta lives only on the tiny Island of Moorea, I’m
even not certain that it has been found on Tahiti proper. I would like
to hear from people who collected this species on Tahiti (themselves,
not bought). The L. violacea is from the tiny Sint Brandon. L. adamii
is absolutely valid, but we are still struggling to have proper
locality data, they come in mixed, but all suggests that this species
lives only on the tiny Serangani Island. Large adamii are very
different from dwarf L. lambis – of about the same size, and meanwhile
several hundred have been collected.

I suggest somebody names the L. lambis with lirae from the Visayas.

Best regards, Guido