From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:59:18 -0400
John Varner wrote:

> Before I let this bone go, I pose two rhetorical questions:  Do
> you believe that mankind's activities are adversely altering the natural
> environment?

Absolutely, without question.

Here in SoFla, we dump a half billion gallons a day of minimally- (or
non-) treated sewage onto our reefs every day.

Here in SoFla, we fill our condos and hotels to the brim every winter
with yankees invited south to swim in our sewers.

Here in SoFla, we have pumped the aquifers so low that salt water is
intruding into our drinking water.

Here in SoFla, we are building reverse osmosis plants so we can drink
the salt sewage.

Here in SoFla, people have far surpassed pigeons in the race for
nastiest nests.

Here in SoFla, we can't afford to treat our sewage into potable water
(like the wealthy, high technology folks in Bangla Desh!) but we are
spending a half-billion dollars for a new stadium for the Marlins (Avg
2009 attendance 18,117).

> Do you have, or care about, any children?

Yes, I do. And because I care, I have not filled their heads with
unrealistic expectation that the current fad will solve all our
problems. (Whatever happened to stem cells once the federal funding tap
was opened?)

I belong to an activist organization. We don't educate, we litigate. We
don't talk, we do. We have accomplished more per dollar than any other
environmental group. Period.

I don't wring my hands over my children's future, I change it.

See http://www.reef-rescue.org/

Give us some money, we'll make more things change.