From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:23:28 -0400
Enzo,

It is not a type in the sense of a type established for nomenclatural
purposes ie holotype, paratype, etc as defined in the ICZN

I think of a hypotype as a figured specimen or one cited in a paper. The
hypotype is a useful concept as it helps define a taxon as viewed by a
given author of a paper. Thus if someone is discussing Chlamys islandica
in a paper and cited a dozen specimens in museum collections and
illustrates C. islandica, this helps me understand what the author means
when he/she is discussing this taxon. This can be especially helpful when
one is synonymizing (lumping) taxa or discussing taxa where there may be
ecotypic variation.

There was a paper, I believe published in American Midland Naturalist,
that discussed many different "types." Maybe someone on the list recalls
the paper. Unfortunately, I do have a copy but am not sure where it is :-(
If I find it I will post the reference.

> Hi all,
> having met the term "hypotype", I looked for it in my ICZN copy
> without finding it and I had a similar result searching ICZN on line.
> Now I wander if this "hypotype" has an official relevance in the
> nomenclature or not.
> Thank you all
> Enzo
>

> Enzo Campani
> C.so G. Mazzini 299
> 57126 Livorno
> Italy
> Cel 3475362343

> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine