From:
Richard Petit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:15:28 -0400
I am not a Conus expert, but it is easy to find authoritative usages of
Conus ventricosus as the valid name for the species. Alan Kohn reiterated
his position  in 1992 in "A Chronological Taxonomy of Conus, 1758-1840".  In
November 2009 Conus ventricosus was used as a valid name as type of
Lautoconus by John Tucker & Manuel Tenorio in "Systematic classification of
Recent and fossil conoidean gastropods."

I have no idea why you introduced the date 1981 but it would have been
useful to have given the reason. Your "seems accepted" must come from its
use by authors who are not familiar with the taxonomic literature and
publish in non-peer reviewed "journals."  Such use hardly qualifies such
mis-usage as "accepted."

dick p.