From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:01:02 -0500
Marlo et al

Shells typically are all blue, or  various shades of brown- eg grayish
brown (as illustrated by you). I have some that are very  light golden
 brown/olive brown. Also lots of darker brown shells that range  to
dark chestnut brown, often you see brown shells  with blue/black rays,
I am aware of one albinistic ("dirty white") shell from Bar Harbor,
Maine. I have not seen this shell or an image, but it is from a
reliable source. I have seen images of  lighter blue shells with
darker  bluer rays but they may have been brought out by post-mortem
wear/fading,  bleaching,  or excessive cleaning/removal or loss of
periostracum.

Regarding size  I have specimens up to 112mm (also from Bar Harbor
Maine). Markus Huber told me that the WRS is something around. 125mm,
if I recall correctly.

Regarding habitat, though most books typically note the rocky
substratum, I see many dense populations of thickly matted individuals
on mudflats (eg Shinnecock Bay in NY; the west side of the bar at Bar
Harbor, which is where all my 100mm+ shells came from), so obviously
the species can be successful in different habitat types.

Steve