From:
John O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2011 15:19:10 -0400
Dear all,

I've just joined the listserve (which seems like a fantastic resource) so
hello everybody!  I was wondering if anyone could advise me on acquiring
some bulk samples of specific European shells - the shells are needed for an
academic project on ornamentation in prehistoric Europe, where we seem to
see extremely constrained choices in which shell types were used.  Notably,
the following Atlantic and Mediterranean species appear hugely popular and
were exchanged across large distances:

Littorina obtusata
Littorina saxatilis
Nassarius gibbosulus
Nassarius mutabilis
Cyclope neritea
Nucella lapillus
Homalopoma sanguineum
Pecten maximus

I'm hoping to find someone willing to collect around 30-50 specimens of each
and ship them to New York for a reasonable price.  They do not have to be
specimen quality, or even particularly good - in fact a representative
sample of all types found washed up on shore would be best.  Does anyone
know of any shell collectors/dealers would might be interested?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Best,
John