From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:46:17 -0400
If you take a photo with a reference scale bar, there are various
shape analysis computer programs that can use that for reference to
generate measurements.  The difficulties are making sure that the
specimens are consistently aligned and that they and the scale are in
focus.  For specimens that small, the difference will not be much, but
for a larger shell a flat scale bar down on the surface that the shell
is on will not match as well as is desirable with the middle of the
shell.  Ideally, the scale bar will be at the the same height as the
parts of the shell that are of interest.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Collections Assistant