From:
Ed and Susan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2014 20:40:35 -0400
This isn’t much of a suggestion, but I would let them soak in as concentrated an alcohol as you can find, for much longer than that (weeks anyway, changing the alcohol regularly) and afterwards give the shells plenty of time to dry out completely. Don't put them back into a ziplock bag!

(Usually when shells stink like that it is because part of the digestive gland broke off when the body was being extracted. That glad is oily and stinks a very great deal when it rots.)

You have to hope that this trapped and partially rotted piece of tissue will eventually dry out completely, and then hardly stink at all. But that takes time! And I mean years.

Some people say to put a few drops of this or that up onto the spire, but in think in most cases that probably just masks the smell.

However, maybe someone else will have a better suggestion?

Susan J. Hewitt
NYC