From:
José Leal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 12:10:13 -0400
For at least a couple of times in the recent past I was shown shells of B.
carica as "right-handed lightning whelks from Sanibel." (Check a nice
right-handed lightning whelk in the Shell Museum's SW Florida Shells online
guide.) Invariably, upon further questioning, owners admitted that the
shells could well be from somewhere else, such as Outer Banks or other
places along the East Coast. No carica on the left coast of Florida for
sure.

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Science Director & Curator
The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org <http://www.shellmuseum.org/>

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
Sanibel, FL 33957 USA