From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:48:21 -0800
Martin,
        Walter Freeman Webb was  conchologist from the early 1900's and
wrote Handbook for Shell Collectors.  I have 2 editions and they are
dated1960 (15th edition) and and 1948 (revised edition-ND)The original
editions were printed in 1935)  During WW11 there were thousands of copies
printed and distributed to the military for men overseas. (Sound military?)
Walter also wrote a book called United States Mollusca.  Most of these
books can be found in quite an abundance in used book stores.
        As for the catalogue of shells and their prices, I don't have any
information.
Ah, I found good old Walter in American Malacologists (1975 edition, pg. 173)
Born: May 28, 1869, Died: June, 1957    Sold shells between 1893-1930?
Co-founder & Member of St. Petersburg Shell Club 1934, Contributer to
Nautilus 1911. Became America's largest Shell dealer.
If you can find a copy of the old American Conchologist Registry, you'll
have even more info.  Good luck on your search.  I'm sure that the St.
petersburg Shell Club could give you even more info.
Dan Yoshimoto

>Does anyone out there remember a Walter F. Webb. At a garage sale I came
>across a 156 page illustrated price list that must be quite old. The address
>is here in St. Petersburg, however I am not at all familiar with the name. The
>shell prices certainly do not reflect current values at all. Conus aurantius
>Hwass, 1792 for $2.50  and Cassis tenuis Say ? at $2.50 for instance. Each
>shell listed has a great description and a line drawing to go with each. With
>such an impressive catalog I would take it that he was a dealer of some
>importance. I cannot find a date that this book was published. it simply says
>on the cover "1225 illustrations Fourth Edition, published by WALTER F.WEBB
>2515 SECOND AVENUE NORTH, ST. PETERSBURG 3, FLORIDA .
>
>Just curious as to who this gentleman was or is.
>
>Martin Tremor
>St. Petersburg, FL

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.